Tuesday, August 9, 2011

i wireless Center - New York Dolls

Its fascinating to think about all the bands from the '80's being reborn and their fan base beginning to explode with that rebirth.  While this phenomena appears not to be slowing down, other bands, from other eras are creeping in and appear to be trying to catch a little bit of what the '80's bands are experiencing.  The band "New York Dolls" is doing just that.

I was three years old when the New York Dolls played their first gig December 24th, 1971 at a homeless shelter, and so began the growth of one hell of a band.  With that said, the Dolls entered the foray into the wonderful world of music and subsequently carving out their rightful place in rock history.  Can a band that produced two studio albums, and two compilation albums in the '70's have a "rightful place in rock history"?  You're damn right.

The Dolls are considered to be one of the original "glam rockers" and using their image glam bands spawned everywhere.  Bands like KISS and Aerosmith as well as the "hair bands" of the '80's owe much of that image to the Dolls.  When I learned that the Dolls were on tour with Poison AND Motley Crue, two of the biggest bands from that infamous "hair band" era, it was a no brainer, I had to go. So I went, August 6th, 2011 I paid a visit to the i wireless Center in Moline, Illinois and so it began my introduction to the New York Dolls.

Here's a revelation, I have heard probably three Dolls songs since 1971 (I know I was three, stick with me) and those three songs happened probably in the late '80's whilst I was drinking so they are indeed a blur.  What I do know is what I heard on that Saturday night in Moline, IL and I have to say I absolutely loved it!

The frontman for the Dolls is David Johansen who in the '80's as some of us may remember created "Buster Poindexter" who had relative success with the 1987 album "Buster Poindexter" and the single "Hot Hot Hot", took the stage and did the one thing most singers do not do, he stood there.  One can imagine that by "stood there" I meant that he was stoic and acted as if he were a mannequin and his vocals were piped in and that simply isn't the case.  What was refreshing is that I didn't have watch this whirling dervish spinning about, he moved normally but for the most part he stood there, sang and entertained the crowd.  How could anyone not like that?

In all honesty I cannot tell you that he did an excellent rendition of this song or he forgot the words to that song because I simply have no frame of reference with his music.  Looking at that last statement I believe that not knowing their music was a great thing, I could just listen to it and not compare it to anything else from their body of work.  What I can tell you is what I thought of what I heard and what I felt after seeing them perform.

As a fresh listener to their music, I will tell you to see them in concert, follow them on Facebook, and buy their records, they kicked the crap out of Moline!  Take the time and buy their records, and I'm sure you will not be disappointed. 

Next up:  Poison

No comments:

Post a Comment